Software Freedom International is proud to announce the Best Event Competition and encourage every registered SFD team to join! Every year we've tried very hard to find something related to Software Freedom and that could be easily shared.
In 2011 we will be presenting three portable computers that run 100% on Free Software to the top three winning teams of the competition. Yes! The only fully free and open source netbook, Lemote Yeeloong. You have to know that every components of the machines from drivers to BIOS has been selected to be able to run using free and open source software. This would not be possible without the support of Lemote!
What's more? The winning teams will also get to receive a book - Free Software Free Society: selected essays by Richard M. Stallman signed by Richard M. Stallman! Thanks to our long term partner, Free Software Foundation especially RMS for their support again!
The competition will be judged by the Software Freedom International board and its newly established committee. The competition deadline for submitting entries is 16th Feb 2012 at 05h00UTC (extended to 28th Feb 2012). Applicants simple need to submit your report at http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/cgi-bin/report.py .
- Three prizes will be awarded to the top three entries (1 set of prize(s) per team).
- Entries will consist of descriptions of the event, video, photos, web links, scanned newspaper reports and possibly other multimedia content.
- Entries will be judged on the scope and success of activities, innovativeness of the events, number of people reached, amount of publicity, and other criteria.
- Entries will need to demonstrate that the event was clearly expressing the ideas of the free software movement.
- Entries that involve the wider community (beyond the FOSS and geek community) and press coverage will be considered particularly successful.
- Only registered teams are eligible to join the competition.
- Entries must be submitted through http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/cgi-bin/report.py .
- The closing date for all entries is 16th Feb 2012 at 05h00 UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) and extended to 28th Feb 2012.
- Teams that require more time to prepare their entries may be granted an extension at the discretion of the competition organisers. Applications for a deadline extension should be sent to info[at]softwarefreedomday[dot]org.
- Winners will be notified by email within around 6 weeks of the closing date i.e. in early April and will be announced publicly on the SFD website and elsewhere.
- Software Freedom International and related organisations (including sponsors) have the right to publish any information submitted as a competition entry.
- Only one entry per team should be submitted.
- Entries can only be submitted by filling out the form which will be up soon.
- Entries must indicate the name of entrant, contact details (same email as the one used when registering), and a full explanation of their entry with any links.
- Any entry that requires judges to register to view the content will be discarded (ex: OSUM website, Facebook, etc)
- The judging panel consists of the board of Software Freedom International and the members of the Competition Committee.
- The judging panel has the right to contact applicants for any explanation of the entry.
- Judges, their immediate families, and their SFD teams are ineligible to enter the competition.
- The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Contestants who are rude or abusive or who are found to have submitted fraudulent information about themselves or their entry will be excluded from the competition.
- The promoter of this competition is Software Freedom International, 718 Fox Hollow Drive, Hudson, New Hampshire, 03051, USA.